Wednesday, August 6, 2008

work to live or live to work

I am so burned out at work. I just want to run far, far away and just be free from everything. If you haven't been following along, the past several months have been extra stressful due to some unexpected issues with a project I'm working on in construction. All sorts of things have popped up and dealing with everything has caused me to become behind on all the other stuff I'm also supposed to be working on. It's really a vicious carousel and I'm stuck riding the ugly ostrich looking thing because all the pretty horses were taken. I can't seem to get ahead even though I work late (like tonight) and also work my Fridays off and sometimes on weekends too. All the stress has really affected me health-wise as well. When I work late, I don't get to the gym and then I feel cranky. I've also been having trouble sleeping because I can't clear my head enough to relax. Last week I actually left work early on Wednesday because I started having a panic attack and felt like I needed to get out of my office and be anywhere else but there. It really didn't help when my client contacted my boss on Friday to say that I wasn't being responsive enough on their project even though I spend more time than I should on their stuff. Gee, going over my head to tell my boss I'm supposedly not doing my job is really going to help the situation. Thanks. I appreciate it.

Things have been especially annoying because some others at work aren't as busy and it's distracting when there's all sorts of gossiping going on. I was pretty unhappy tonight because we were having an office happy hour that I missed because I knew I needed to stay and get stuff done that is due tomorrow. I'm not saying that a little extra work here and there is unreasonable, but this has just been unbearable.

To top things off, my supervisor got changed this year and I'm not too keen on my new assignment. I had my mid-year review last week which was the worst review I have EVER gotten. Not so much in terms of things I need to work on, but in terms of not providing a path for career development. I was so turned off that I made an appointment to discuss it with our Office Leader, but unfortunately, he blew me off. I'm starting to get the feeling that I should start considering a move back to the midwest if I'm not appreciated here.

2 comments:

Happy Fun Pants said...

Good luck! I know that you'll do great in whatever you choose to do.

I'm glad that you're taking the time to appreciate how you're feeling and also recognize that there are other options for you.

Keep your chin up...I know it's hard to do sometimes.

I'm here if you need to blow off some steam to talk! :)

Jimmy said...

I can sympathize about not being happy at work. It's not fun. I hope things get better for you. If you need anything, let me know!