I had high hopes that my new shoes would suddenly make running a wonderful orgasmic experience that real runners declare that it is. I've come to the conclusion, however, that it's all a bunch of hooey that runners have made up to make it seem like they are doing something really cool. Yesterday I decided to try out my new shoes on the treadmill at the gym. I really did feel like I was bounding through the air at lightning-fast speed. That is, until I caught my reflection in the mirror. Yeah, not so much.
In my mind I feel like I'm much more in shape and look way better than I really do. I guess that's similar to what people with anorexia struggle with. They envision themselves overweight (therefore refuse to eat), when the rest of the world sees them as skinny or normal in body weight. The tricks the mind plays are so cruel.There are exactly three reasons why I might want to run:
1. The building is on fire.
2. I really have to go pee.
3. I've found myself lost in the woods and a large bear has zeroed in on me as the weakest link.
For all other situations, walking pretty much works just fine and you don't get as sweaty.
With all kidding aside, running is very hard on your joints, especially when you are overweight like I am. It's really a catch 22 because you want to be thinner to run, but it helps to run to get thinner. I know I'm discouraged, but some days it's just really hard to get motivated when you know a) you are going to be in real pain while exercising and b) you will likely be in twice as much pain when you wake up the next day. That's where I found myself today. Yesterday after doing W3D3 (again) of the C25K program in my new shoes, I felt more leg pain than I have before. This morning I could hardly get out of bed. My back felt all tensed up and sore, my knees hurt, and even my thighs were aching. I've done twice as long a workout and not felt that bad. But, tomorrow is a new day and I'll just keep believing that it will get easier with time. It has to. Or else I might die.
3 comments:
Think about how far you've come already! It's great that you've had the success you've had so far! Don't let sore legs and toes discourage you.
Have you thought of doing more bike riding? That doesn't put as much of a shock on the joints as running.
I've been there. Run Smart. If it's not fun in some way, stop.
http://s-koz.blogspot.com/2010/08/vffs.html
In fact if I write about anything there, it's usually running.. or beer.. or Kung Fu.. but mostly running.
http://s-koz.blogspot.com/2010/02/running-school.html
The shoes that took me down?
Asics.
If it's not normal pain (and see your doctor for more info), I would stop...or maybe put it on hold for a while?
I enjoy running...and I have some joint pain when I run after taking a few weeks off...I have to build back up again.
My running shoes (which are Brooks) don't help me run faster, but they do help me run without pain. I hope the same eventually is true for you. :(
Post a Comment