Remember the Platypus family from Mister Roger's Neighborhood? There was Dr. Bill Platypus, his wife Elsie Jean Platypus, and their daughter, Ana Platypus. Well, I have more in common with them that I thought.
I was in need of some new running shoes to replace my favorite Solomons. At the recommendation of some of my Bodybugg friends, I headed over to Roadrunner Sports. RRS has this Shoe Dog program that is designed to put you in the right shoes. The program itself takes 12 minutes. They ask you a few questions about what you plan to do in your shoes (run?) and if you have any injuries. Then they have you stand on a pressure pad that determines where you put your weight when you stand. The results show up on a huge plasma for all the store to see. When mine popped up on the screen, the employee giggled. You see, my feet weren't even recognizable as feet.

I knew my feet were flat; it was not a surprise. But it didn't even look like I had toes! Seeing it up on the screen made me a little self-conscious. I asked the girl if they had shoes for me and said assured me that yes, they had shoes for flippers.
Next, the Shoe Dog program requires that you jog on a treadmill so they can videotape your feet. This was also funny because the way the video was shown on the widescreen plasma distorted the picture and made my legs look like they belonged to a yard gnome! I'm serious, it looked like I had stumps attached to my flippers.
The girl replayed the video in slow motion and pointed out that my ankles were "very flexible". I said "Oh, thats good right?" and she was like "No, no. Bad." Oh right. Of course naturally the part of my body that's flexible is not supposed to be. She said that with each step, my Achilles' collapsed and that is not a good thing. Honestly, I could not see what she was seeing and still don't think that could be quite right. But, anyway, she takes me over to the wall of shoes and tells another salesperson that I need shoes from the Stability Plus category. No, not just stability, but STABILITY PLUS. Great...sounds like shoes that come with leg braces. So, I braced for the worst (so to speak) expecting them to bring out some shoes that look like this:


No comments:
Post a Comment