Thursday, April 30, 2009

We lost a dear friend.

Yesterday I learned that a very close friend of our family, Kathy Ball, passed away on Tuesday. I still can't believe it even typing this now. The Balls were a family that lived across the street from my Grandparents in Chicago. The Balls took very good care of my Grandparents as they got older and were really interested in the lives of my family and all my cousins. They were such a part of my childhood growing up that they just seemed like an extension of our family. Whenever we had family gatherings, Fourth of July celebrations or milestone events, the Balls were there celebrating with us.

Their two children, Chris and Kelly, were close to the same age as my brother and me. Chris two years younger than my brother and Kelly two years older than me. It was so much fun going to visit my Grandparents knowing that I had a really good friend right across the street. We would ride bikes, go to the park, jump on their trampoline, or generally just goof off. The most fun was when we would get together will all the kids in the neighborhood and play Ghost in the Graveyard* late at night. Kelly was also my first pen pal and we used to exchange letters about every week. Her family was less conservative than mine and sometimes that made for more excitement. I remember once getting into HUGE trouble after Kelly and I were found riding a bike-built-for-two on Palatine Road, a 4-lane highway and frontage road. Oops.

They were just a really fun family and I can't believe that her Mom Kathy is gone. I don't know what it would be like going back to my Grandparents empty house now (our family still owns it), which is hard enough as it is, and now know that Kathy won't be walking out to our car eagerly waving hi to greet us.

I think what's also bumming me out is that I have plans to go to Chicago this September for a concert and my Aunt Carol had told Kathy I was coming. She was so excited becuase I haven't seen her for a few years. I wish I could've made arrangements to go to the wake and funeral but it's all taking place on Friday. This has reminded me that no one's time is guaranteed and it's important to take each day as a special day and not hesitate to tell people how you feel and to get in touch with those you may have lost touch with over the years.

*For those who don't know, Ghost in the Graveyard is a game of tag played in the dark. Several people are deemed "Ghosts" and hide somewhere. The others must then make one complete lap around the house (or neighborhood if a large group) back to base without being tagged. The ghosts jump out at you and chase you down. For a long time I was so scared that my brother renamed the game "Clown in the Circus" so I would play. Probably why I hate clowns now.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I'm sorry for your loss. Hugs & much love to you during this time and always!

Mark Luedde said...

My heartfelt condolences go out to you.

Punky said...

Im so sorry, my good thoughts are with you!