So I did something very stupid Wednesday night. As I was walking out of a restaurant, I was talking and failed to notice a curb. Curbs can be very sneaky things. One minute I was laughing, the next minute I was face down on the asphalt. At first I was sure my ankle was broken. I clearly heard a couple of pops, which couldn't be a good sign. I also noticed that my right palm was bleeding because I used my arm to break my fall. Good thing no vampires were present. Drew did what he could to keep a straight face--I'm sure it was awfully funny. Once standing, I went into a sort of shock that happens when you're not sure how injured you are. I felt lightheaded and sweaty like I was on the verge of passing out. Great, a head injury is just what I needed next. There were about 6 or 8 or 100 people standing in front of the restaurant wondering what my deal was and exactly how much I had had to drink. I must've looked plastered! But I only had one margarita! I eventually felt that I was not going to pass out and really just wanted to get home before the real pain set in. Of course my injuries were to my right hand and foot, so driving was going to be interesting. We went to CVS to get some water, which was good because it gave time for the crowd to disperse. I couldn't hardly get into a car and drive away after that spectacle. They would send the cops after me for sure!
Once home, it was all I could do to get into bed. I couldn't even take off my clothes, take out my contacts or anything. I just lied there... on ice. I didn't sleep at all. The pain in my wrist was the worst. It throbbed, even more so when it was iced. The pain went clear to my shoulder. The only sleep I did get was when I was wrapped in my comforter like a cocoon and the heat eased the pain. The problem was that when I woke up, I couldn't move. Every muscle was stiff, likely because I tensed when I fell. I couldn't even uncurl my fingers of my right hand due to the pain.
Eventually I forced myself to take a shower (that was fun) because I was convinced that I had one or more broken bones and the doc would put me in a cast. Thankfully the x-rays showed no breaks, but my wrist hurts so much that my doctor thinks that there could possibly be a hairline fracture. We will have to wait and see. Sometimes hairline breaks don't show up right away on film until the calcium starts depositing during the healing process. I'm really hoping that's not the case!! But, as I type this with one hand, I'm not so sure.
Doing everything with one hand is a pain. My heart goes out to people who only have one arm.
I would do anything for a ponytail right now.
3 comments:
I was just adding something on my blog list and saw your post.
I'm happy to see that you can type! I was thinking....I bet it wasn't your fault at all. I bet somebody made a grave calculation error and rather than making the curb 6", erroneously wrote in 6' and the contractor complied. You, the innocent victim, went to stride down from the 6" but were caught off guard when you fell an add'l 5-1/2!
Wanna do dinner tonight? I've been overloading my brain on Land Arch stuff and was thinking it's a good day for Beachfire.
Awwww...I'm so sorry that you fell! :( I laughed at the way that you put it (am I horrible or what?), but when I read further to see that you were in a ton of pain, I felt bad.
Here's to hoping it goes away sooner than later!
I tried to find video of this on YouTube... because everything is on YouTube now. But I couldn't find it. Unless you aren't telling the truth and you were really attacked by a cat...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOgrcWoCXJ8&feature=related
Post a Comment