Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Can it really be this hard?

Dear World:

Does anyone out there know how to spell the name of Libya's head dude? Seeing his name all over the media in the past day, I have noted at least 972 different ways to spell it. Or something like that. The possibilities include:

Qaddhafi
Qaddafi
Gaddafi
Kaddafi
Khadafy
Qadhafi
Englebert Dinglebert
Qadaffi
Gadaffi
Qathafi
Englebert Slapdeback
Gadaafi
Qadhdhafi
Qadafi

Englebert Humperdinck
El-Gadhafi
Banana Fanna Fo Fadafy

The only explanation I can get is that (1) there is no generally accepted authority for romanizing Arabic names, and (2) the name contains several sounds that have no exact equivalent in English. But Is there really a need to keep making up names? Can't everyone just pick one and stick with it?

5 comments:

Jimmy said...

Whenever I'm hanging out with the guy, I always call him Cracker Jack. Because he's always eating out of a box of Cracker Jacks. He loves seeing what prize is in the box. Especially when he got that secret decoder ring...

Happy Fun Pants said...

I love your Eddie Izzard reference.

YOU ROCK. :)

Jayne said...

Slut BunWalla!

kristi said...

You girls get extra points for recognizing the Eddie Izzard theme!

Jimmy said...

I thought Humperdinck was a reference to The Princess Bride.