Thursday, January 15, 2009
Perfected Oatmeal
As much as I love to cook, one might think that I could make a decent bowl of oatmeal. Well, this was untrue... until today. I used to make oatmeal by just using plain Instant Quaker oats, some water, a pinch of salt, and a microwave. The oatmeal was, eh, edible (sort of), but nothing that knocked your socks off. Well, look out now cause I've got it all figured out! First of all, forget the instant oats. Yuck. Get the old fashioned Quaker oats that actually require cooking time! Next, substitute half of the water for 2% milk (or all of the water for 1% milk). Bring the oats, water, milk, and salt to boil on the stove. None of this microwave crap. Let it simmer for 5 minutes and then let it rest in a bowl for another 3. Okay, I know it takes longer to make, not as convenient, but it is quite tasty. Too bad I'm gonna be late to work now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Can't believe you did all of this before going to work! Sounds very yummy though.
I'd like to recommend Trader Joe's frozen, steel cut oatmeal. 3 minutes and you're eatin' like a champ!
Post a Comment