Monday, November 10, 2008

Overactive Imagination

So I had this really realistic dream last night that I got laid off from work. It was so vivid and emotional, that I swear I probably yelled out in my sleep at some point. It started with some gossip around the office that more layoffs were coming (we had one earlier this year). The way the layoffs were circulated were, oddly enough, via a PDF in email. You basically looked for your name and hoped it wasn't there. Anyway, I didn't pay attention because I thought no way would my name be on there. But, I got nosy and looked just as I was going to delete the email... and there was my name. Funny thing was that my name was under the heading of "Transportation", which is the group I worked in when I first joined B&V in 2001 but switched to water when I moved to CA. I got really upset and started demanding an explanation. The only explanation I could get was that each department head had to pick a name and since the Transportation head probably didn't know me, he picked my name. It apparently didn't matter that I was no longer in that department. What bothered me the most is that others in my office knew about this before me and did nothing to stand up for me!! I was absolutely devastated. I remember crying in my dream and thinking how I was going to move back to St. Louis, but I would have to leave all the friends I made here. It was an awful dream and I think I woke up more tired than before I went to bed!!

So all you dream interpreters out there...what does this mean?

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

In my professional sounding yet completely unprofessional opinion, this dream could represent many things. The country’s economic instability and rising unemployment rates has you worried about your own job security. The fact that your company laid people off earlier this year shows that your company is vulnerable. Your being in the transportation department in your dream, the area in which you first started working in this company, revealed your fears you had when you first had when you were hired. You were at a new place and didn’t know who you could trust or how people would treat you. Upon being fired, you are worried about starting someplace new and experiencing the same fears and trepidations that you experienced in the Transportation Department of your current company. You will have to make a name for yourself all over again so people know who you are.

Either that or you ate too much sushi.