Saturday, November 15, 2008

Fire everywhere

Once again, California is on fire. Today will be 95 with single-digit humidity. I felt guilty last night coming home from a great evening out with friends in Laguna Beach and turning on the news only to see that another wildfire had started in LA destroying people's homes. I slept on the couch because the carpet wasn't dry (see below) and there was NBC coverage all night on the fire. At one point I actually incorporated some of the fire coverage into my dreams and dreamt that Ladera was on fire and I needed to evacuate! This morning, the fire is even bigger and some 2,500 acres have burned. RIght now the 5, 405, 14, 118, and 210 freeways are all shut down right now in the vicinity of the fire. It's unreal. There are some high-voltage power lines in the path of the fire, so we may end up with rolling blackouts if and when those are affected. On top of that, this doesn't help our water shortage issues.

Last year was one of the worst fire seasons on record. There was on fire that was only a few miles from work and it eventually made it down to only a few miles from where I live. It was eerie! Each day I packed up important documents, photos, etc., in my car just in case it got closer and we were asked to evacuate. Here is a photo from last year where the fire is above Lake Mission Viejo. It's beautiful, yet frightening.

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

It's terrible to watch this happening. I hope that the fires are under control soon and that you and your friends make it through this unscathed. Take care.