I was flipping through my iTunes library and I started listening to one of my old Orgy albums. Funny enough, there was a period of time in college when Orgy was seriously one of my favorite bands. My roommate Sara and I used to watch MTV's show 120 Minutes every Sunday night from 10pm-midnight just to see what new videos were out there. One night the video for 'Blue Monday' came on and I, being a huge New Order fan, became instantly insulted at this cover of the song. However, for some reason, I was totally intrigued by the singer, Jay Gordon. Afterwhile, the song really grew on me. I joined one of the online fan groups (of which there was basically just one at the time) and by some strange course began trading emails with Jay's dad! Now, I realize how y'all are saying that this is BS and it couldn't be his dad. I thought the same thing. I had created some publicity banners to use on websites and Jay's dad contacted me to thank me for my efforts in promoting the band. He sent me an autographed CD and photo, which came in a box from Oral-B (yes the toothbrush company), which is where Jay's aunt worked. It was all super crazy. If Hollz is reading this, she can back me up on it. There was this message board created and many members of Jay's family participated as admin and moderators. It started out to be really cool and on the downlow, but eventually the band got too big for their britches. I think they just eventually all broke up. Not sure what Jay is up to these days, but some of the other members created a new band, Julien-K, which is pretty good. Sara and I saw Orgy several times... at least once in Columbia, MO, at the Blue Note and once at Pointfest. I decided to check out the video that started it all and here it is!
2 comments:
Is it bad that all I remember you gals listening to was Savage Garden?
Gosh Savage Garden was so 1998.
Post a Comment