Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Happy Earth Day - Don't Drink the Water

If you're like me, you probably have a Nalgene bottle (or three) around the house or at work. I use a Nalgene bottle at work everyday and I thought I was doing something good by using a reusable container. I heard on the news recently that studies have shown that some types of plastic release a carcinogen called bisphenol A (BPA). The news mostly focused on baby bottles that contain BPA, which is obviously scary since 99% of babies drink out of plastic bottles at some point.





However, I found out today that I have something to worry about because my lovely Nalgene bottles also contain this toxin. Research has shown that Lexan, the plastic material that Nalgene bottles are made from is possibly toxic and the toxins could permeate everything that is contained in these bottles. BPA has been found connected to diseases like cancer and conditions like (yikes) low sperm count. (What if a guy drank Mt. Dew out of a Nalgene bottle?!)



If you'd like to learn more, check out this site: http://www.thegreenguide.com/doc/114/nalgene

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

I don't think you have to worry about the bottle giving you low sperm count. Unless there's something else you're trying to tell us...