I understand that some people can't handle the responsibilities of piloting a car safely while talking. These are probably the same people who can't pat their heads and rub their bellies at the same time. These people should not attempt to drive and talk.
But I don't want to be governed by some computer chip that thinks it knows what's best for me. And, you would think that I would say the opposite seeing as how I was in a crash in 2003 with a man who was on his cell phone. He was going 60 mph and ran a red light. But I don't think that the answer is to punish everyone for the few who can't talk and drive because they would probably end up having an accident anyway.
The way some of these devices work is that when they sense motion, they send a signal to jam your cell. That means no calls, no texts, no emails. The way they phrase it is they "manage" your calls. One of their arguments is how many people can talk on a cell phone and follow a TV show at the same time? That's easy. No one. The reason is because you have to use the same body part to listen to both the caller and the TV. That's hard. However, listening to someone on the phone and avoiding other cars on the road is not so tough. I don't even see how that is the same sport. What about if you have a passenger in the car who's talking constantly? What then? Are passengers going to have to wear muzzles? Or what about the people who drive around with dogs on their laps? Or screaming babies? How many accidents do they cause? Let's get real people.
I think that it's probably far off that these devices would be required by law, but it still bugs me. If anyone should be against them, it's the hands-free companies because should it become impossible to use your phone in your car, those bluetooth devices would basically become obsolete.
Well, maybe that's not so bad...
No comments:
Post a Comment