
Not really. I'm not really interested in recruiting anyone, but this week I saw "Milk", which marks the third movie I've seen in the past 18 days.... truly remarkable for me. I'm someone who is extremely picky about movies. As a general rule of thumb, I am just not interested by movies that the general public seems to get hyped up about. The standard shoot 'em up, action-packed thrillers just aren't my thing. I tend to like movies that are lower budget and more appealing to emotions rather than excitement.
"Milk" was just one of those movies that I knew I wanted to see. I enjoy films that are based on reality... makes sense because as a kid, I always wanted books with "real pictures" as my mom used to tell me. None of those cartoony books for me.
The story was told interspersed with actual footage from the era. It's unreal to think that this was going on just over 30 years ago. The footage of Anita Bryant was especially unsettling, as she was rallying people to have every gay and lesbian teacher fired, along with anyone who supported them. As if being gay was something that was taught in schools. This is what was happening in the 1970s.
I have to say that of the Oscar Nominated movies I've seen, I would cast my vote for the Reader first and Milk second, but it was still a very moving and poignant movie.
2 comments:
I thought the movie was about competing dairy farms during the 1840's as they vied for control of the vast milk producing empire. The end of the movie ends with thundering herds of cows charging at each other on a vast field in a thrilling climatic battle royale.
But seriously, I was not aware of the story and thought it was from some event in the 1990's. I hadn't paid too much attention to it as it has gotten such little promotion. If the movie played here, it was probably for only a couple of weeks at the most.
I'm so glad that you wrote about this - it is definitely on my list of things to rent now!
Post a Comment