Monday, May 30, 2011

Hi, it's me.

Where was I going with this post? It's been a while since I felt like sitting down to write what was on my mind, mostly because things have been moving so fast. Time feels like it is going more quickly than it ever has before. My beautiful little niece is already approaching four months only and I've only seen her once.



It seems like every time I sit down to write a post, something shiny grabs my attention and I'm off and running in another direction. ADHD? Perhaps. Poor time management? More likely.

A quick update on my training. I've endured a few non-major injuries that have been a bit of a setback. The most frightening of which was a pinched nerve to the right of my spine two weeks ago. Normally for me, pinched nerves occur when I sleep funny and wake up with what some people would call a 'crick in the neck'. This time it happened after diving into the pool at swim practice. I swear I thought I wasn't going to be able to get out of the pool. If I didn't know better, I might have thought I got a spine injury from diving in a shallow pool... except that the pool was 12 feet deep. I basically paddled in the lane for a few minutes hoping the searing pain would subside, but my coach knew something was terribly wrong and called me out.

The burning pain felt like someone stabbed me with a serrated blade and was twisting it when I turned my head to the right or tried to look down or move my arms or breathe. I went to the shallow end of the pool and floated on my back trying to lengthen my spine and smooth out any kinks. That really didn't work too well. After a hot shower, I relaxed on the couch because remaining stationary was the only way to avoid the pain. The problem was when I tried to get up several hours later, I couldn't.

Since I don't have a live-in boyfriend to massage my back at my whim, it was time to call Massage Envy. They were able to get me in right away and my masseuse, James, was a-mazing! I explained my issue and he went to work immediately. He spent nearly the entire 50 minutes on that one area and it actually did begin to feel better right away. Just one tip for James... if you're gonna be a masseuse, invest in some classier shoes. That's all your clients will see.

Now I'm just trying to remain injury-free as my race date gets closer. This weekend we're doing our first ocean swim. Zoinks!

1 comment:

Jimmy said...

You must not used the proper diving technique of belly first.