Sunday, April 17, 2011

Could it be...

progress???

I think I'm actually becoming a runner. Well, that might be too strong of a word. But, I am making progress beyond what I really thought I could do.

Example. When I returned to the TriLaVie running club after my unfortunate injury, I was back to walking. I felt like a failure. Frustrated. It's not fun to feel like all the hard work you put in has just disappeared like *poof* over a matter of weeks.

I remember that my second week back was at Aliso Wood Canyon. The route we take includes a 1.5 mile course on asphalt before you reach the entrance to the park and actually start to make your way on trails. The route is basically all downhill going in and, ugh, all uphill going out. That first time back I walked the entire time and I didn't even make it to the entrance before it was time for me to turn around and head back. (We were training on a time basis, so your distance is how far you could get in that allotted time.) Total distance = ~2 miles

The next time we went back, I was up to adding some running intervals and I actually made it to the entrance and back. It was hard. I remember struggling on the way back and my feet had major blisters and hot spots. I think I walked most of the way back. Total distance = 3 miles

The very next week we were in Tustin. We were supposed to run on trails in Peters Canyon, but due to the recent rain (and the rain that morning), we were forced to take the paved trail along Jamboree. This path goes gradually downhill the whole way and then that same grade going back up. I started out feeling pretty good and I ended up going longer than my specified time at the halfway point. On the way back, my legs were tiiiiiiiired. They just felt fatigued and stiff. I knew I would make it back, so I walked probably the last mile and a half. A guy in our run group caught up to me and we walked the last mile together. It was a much needed pick me up. When I got home, I used runningmap.com and found that I had gone 3.5 miles. Yeah!

A few weeks later, we were back at Aliso. I was feeling pretty good and started off on my run. Keep in mind that pretty much everyone else is ahead of me and I am happy being on my own in nature. It was a really pleasant day to be out in fresh air and I was enjoying the wildflowers and birds I saw. All of the sudden I was at the park entrance. What, really? I'm still feeling good! I am actually going to go into the park! I remember going in and making it to the next, beautiful, wonderful sight that is the TLV mile marker. Total Distance = 4 miles. WOO HOO!

The week after that, we were in Irvine. Irvine has a ton of trails that are excellent for running and biking. We were supposed to do our longest run of the season, meaning that for us 5kers, we'd be doing 5 miles. Even saying that hurts. I didn't think I would make the whole distance. I remember starting my watch and taking off with everyone else. Martha had gone off on her bike to put down the TLV orange mile markers. I was plodding along and all of the sudden I spotted mile 1. What???? I had only been running 11 minutes! This would practically be a record for me! I couldn't believe I got there so fast. That set the pace for my run. But after awhile, I started wondering where mile 2 was. I was starting to panic. I passed 22 minutes... 25 minutes... where was it? Long story short, Martha had marked the first mile including the distance we had walked from the parking lot to the trail. Yes, we didn't park all that close. Hence the reason why it seemed to take FOR-EVER to get to the next one. Once there, I did my best to do my guestimation as to what another half mile was before turning around. I think I finished all 5 miles in 1:12. Not too shabby with my walk/run pace. I also didn't have as many blisters thanks to my new friend, Body Glide.

Yesterday was a bit of a discouragement. We were running along the beach in Huntington. It is totally flat. As in, absolutely, positively no grade whatsoever. That might seem enticing and nice, but it's not. You can see people, buildings off in the distance and they seem sooooo tiny.... and that's where you're going. I think I prefer to not see so far ahead. My goal that day was 4 miles. I was feeling tired, sluggish. I don't think I ran any intervals for the first mile. My legs didn't feel like they wanted to run, so I didn't push the envelope. I ran some for the next mile, turned around at marker 2, and headed back. We were supposed to have a negative split, meaning that you're faster on the second half, but I think I was at about :32 on the way out and :34 on the way back. And it was pretty hot.

But oh my gosh, why am I complaining? I did FOUR MILES! That is a big deal for me! I remember when 2 miles was hard! And even running for 30 seconds was like asking for world peace. Now when I run my intervals, I'm surprised at how fast the minutes pass. That's real progress. I think the fact that we keep pushing ourselves harder and farther makes it a bit more difficult to see the progress because it doesn't feel "easier". I don't ever finish thinking "Wow, that felt great! I think I might just keep going."

No, it's not like that. Yet.

No comments: